Welcome to the latest incarnation of my blog. I last left you at my other blog - Two of Six Thousand - as I left Oregon after finishing my year of service as an Americorps VISTA. That year brought many changes - trying a new field, enjoying it but not that much, applying to graduate school, getting accepted, visiting various schools, and deciding to attend Yale.
Oh, and I got engaged to my wonderful partner Aaron, but that's an entirely different blog. Though some wedding stuff may show up here occasionally.
Now, I'm a first year graduate student in the Department of History here at an East Coast university. Since it wouldn't be too hard to figure out who I am in real life, I'll leave the gossip to the happy hours, but there will be plenty of general frustrations, celebrations, and musings about graduate student life.
By the way, the quote is from Herodotus, which we read on the first day in one of my classes to remind us why we do history. For me, this is what it's all about: doing good history so that the colors don't get lost in the black and white of the text and the analysis. Maybe that's not what Herodotus had in mind (he seemed to focus on a lot of battles, if I remember Great Books correctly...) but I think it might come in handy when things get bleak around here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment