Friday, October 19, 2007

mid-October

Well, this week didn't go so well. I left last Thursday for a wedding in Minneapolis (which was great fun, that wasn't the not-so-well part) which took a half-day of travelling. Some people think you can get work done while travelling. I'll tell you, not for grad school. I read a book I needed to read for class - but by the time class came around on Tuesday, those brain cells were not near the top of the stack.

But I got to see the new Guthrie Theater (it's not really so new anymore, I suppose), have great fun at Gasthof, hang out with good friends in their awesome apartment, and attend a wonderful and moving wedding. Yes, I cried. And now Aaron is all about having music in our ceremony, so that's cool too.

Sunday I tried to work. I really did. It was really hard, though, and I did not spend enough time working on the assignment. Which led to much frustration this week, as I realized my classmates spent far more time on it and had much better products. But that's ok, because I can kick butt on this next one. I'm starting tonight, by the way. Just you wait! If it turns out well, I'll post it here.

So I had class on Tuesday, then the longest day ever continued as I attended a talk at the legal history forum and then had a delicious dinner and fascinating conversation after with some really, really smart people. I met a bunch of profs that I'd been meaning to meet (feminist legal profs, race and reconstruction profs, etc) and it was a really positive thing to be in such a feminist space again. I think I'm going to get sucked into feminist legal theory whether I like it or not...and whether I can fit it into my dissertation or not.

Wednesday I ran errands and read and blah blah blah. Oh, and emotional breakdown. But I'm over that now, for the most part, thanks to Aaron, my advisor, and my friends here. Thursday was class. Today I've spent reading, talking with my advisor, and searching for non-class related books in the library. Tonight I intend to draft the two papers I need for next week so I can revise them this weekend and have them sparkly by Tuesday.

So that's my weekend. I can NOT wait for Thanksgiving. I know it won't really be a break, and I'll spend much of it in a dorm room (no, not kidding) that I will leave only to go the library (really, watch the video in that link. That's exactly what it's like.) But, I'll get a bunch done cause Aaron has to work, too, and then I get to relax up at Aaron's parents' house (or shall I say, the future in-laws? Yeesh!) for Thanksgiving itself.

Only a month, right?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That video was awesome! Lilly library is much easier to navigate.