So, I knew Halloween was coming up. I meant to buy candy all week, as this is/was my first chance at playing grownup to the trick-or-treaters. My apartment is on the first floor, so I anticipated the inevitable doorbells.
I forgot to buy candy, and there was a talk by Joan Scott at 5:00 that I just couldn't miss (it was amazing, by the way)and I just got home. I debated stopping to buy candy, but by the time I did, trick-or-treating would be done.
Of course, as I pull up on my bike, there are kids at the door. I hid behind a parked minivan so they wouldn't see me and demand candy, projecting onto me that I was the irresponsible one who purposefully left the porch light on but who was a bad grownup who didn't buy candy.
I did a lap around the block, talked myself into and out of buying candy at the store, and then went back. They were gone. But! My upstairs neighbors are awesome and have a little sign pointing to their doorbell AND they have candy. Figures, they're 7th years. They're REAL grownups.
***
Anyhow, life has been good. Work has leveled off to a manageable level, though I've felt draggier lately. I have to keep my eye on the prize, though. I have a lot of work to do to write some quality final papers, and I still have to keep up a thorough reading job. This I think was difficult this week - that is, it was difficult to feel good about my reading comprehension - when we had one 800 page book and then a collection of pieces of manuscript for another class. Both were very difficult in their own way. And for narrative - I spend a lot of time this weekend on my Celia narrative (the 4 pager) and was quite happy with it. We'll have to see how my class likes it tomorrow.
My mom is coming to visit on Friday - I can't wait! We're going to NYC, and to visit my aunt and uncle and cousins, and just tooling around New Haven, free and easy. Whee!
I feel like blogging more frequently and less diary like, so I think I will do a series of posts that don't involve (necessarily) a run-down of my week. I'll be taking suggestions, but I will probably include:
1. Living car-free in grad school
2. Grad school unionism
3. Public vs Ivy schools
Any suggestions?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment